Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Informercials (Annoying)

Today's word of the day: Infomercials. They need to do something about blasting them at 3 in the morning. Sometimes my roommates sleep with the television on and at like 3am, I wake up to some voice going, "NOW LUCY, DON'T YOU HATE HAVING TO LEAVE THE HOUSE JUST TO GET A GOOD SMOOTHIE? WELL THE THE SMOOTHIE KING, YOU WON'T HAVE TO!" I swear, it drives me nuts! Especially now since I have a headache. But seriously though, who ever thought of the idea to blast them so loud?

Is it so people will wake up in the middle of the night and call toll free for a product they probably will never need nor have anything to do with in the near future? Are they just all produced the way? What makes them think people will WANT to rush up and call that number at three in the morning? I know I certainly wouldn't want to talk to anyone nor do anything at three in the morning (unless of course a tsunami hits or I got invited to the White House) but other than that...No thanks! BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!

Sad to say, but I did find myself calling an infomercial in the afternoon. I have no recollection of what the product was nor what it was used for, but I did call. I ended up not purchasing the product when I found out there was a scheme to it. This is how an infomercial works. First, there is the discussion of the product they attempting to sell to you, followed by the price. After that, a list of optional accessories, or an added bonus, is given. The price of the product in and of itself may just be a mere $10.00 plus shipping and handling. But with the additional items, you will have to pay more. So, in reality, the final price is not just the product and s/h alone, it is said price in addition to the accessories. So, rather than those additions being optional, they are in fact mandatory to purchase. It is all part of the final price. They have calculated, went over and I'm sure did test studies on how to get people to buy their products and what schemes need to be done. Well, it didn't work with me. Once I found that out I just simply ended the call. You are either buying the product with it's additional accessories or nothing at all. It's that simple.
 
So, if you ever find yourself sleeping one night and wake up to a loud-ass infomercial, remember what I told you about the schemes they pull in their marketing and also please remember to either mute or turn off your television when you go to sleep. Or just set it to sleep so it will automatically shut off. Hope this helps and read on!

No comments:

Post a Comment