Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ghostbusters (2016)

Who ya gonna call? A new reboot of a successful franchise that looks utterly ridiculous? Yes, folks...there is going to be another Ghostbusters film, but this time it is going to be completely rebooted with an all-female cast and a new location that is not in New York, but Boston, Massachusetts.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've been waiting and waiting and hoping for another Ghostbusters film since at least 1995. There was so much speculation going on about a third film in the works and I remember as far back as 1999, there was a website dedicated to news on an up and coming third film starring the entire original cast. But, that never happened and the subject just went out of the blue for the longest time. Then, what some consider to be a third entry in the franchise, Ghostbusters: The Video Game came out ten years later in 2009 and it reunited the entire cast from the two films including Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Anne Potts and Ernie Hudson. What an awesome idea that was to bring back the cast! I loved the game and in fact am currently playing it right now. If you haven't played it, or don't intend on buying it, check it out on YouTube and you can see some of the game play and the cut-scenes! Good stuff! Sadly, back in 2014 we lost a very special member of the original crew, actor/writer/directer Harold Ramis. Once he had passed, I thought any possibility a sequel was out of the question. Until now...

Now, 25 years later...there is a new Ghostbusters film in the works that is currently in the filming process. Where as the four original actors in the movies were members of Saturday Night Live (same for Ernie Hudson), the new cast will be an all female lead of actresses that have had a hand in SNL. The new cast of characters will be played by Melissa McCarthy, Christine Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon. Now, apart from Melissa McCarthy and Christine Wiig, I have not seen these other actresses before. Maybe they are funny and I'm sure they are...but I guess I'm just a bit disappointed with this whole production. I just want to make this clear, I am not in any way sexist or against women leads, please don't take this rant that way. This is entirely from a fan point of view.
The new Ghostbusters

One of the main reasons for there not being a third Ghostbusters film anytime sooner, was because Bill Murray had trouble wanting to even do it. He really is the star of these films and he is a part of the reason why Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II were so successful. He was great! And there was a great amount of characters that helped make it equally great! Who can forget Rick Moranis?!!! Now, a few years back he said something that I can actually agree with. "No one wants to see a bunch of old guys chasing ghosts." Now, I can understand that, but I guarantee you it would have still been a blast from the past! I know I would have seen it! I also had read in an article that when Dan Ayroyd had sent Murray a script for the next film, he responded will returning it in shreds. Bottom line, the man just didn't want to do it and that was of course his prerogative. But, as they say in show business, the show much go on and it certainly is...for better or for worse.

A few weeks ago, or maybe as far as a month ago, a reveal has been made for the new Ecto-1.
The new Ecto-1 featured in the flm. #headpalm
Why they don't just use the original car I will never know. Yes, it is a newer model of a Cadillac hearse than used in the original film and sequel, but does that make it any more appealing than the original version? I remember a few months ago I was driving by a Cadillac dealership on the way to work and noticed that they were working on the original Ecto from the first movie. It was sitting there in the shop for the longest time until all of a sudden they started working on it. I was thinking to myself: How cool! They are going to refurbish the old school car for a come back!
The Original Ecto-1 being worked on in a shop in Santa Monica, Ca around 2014.

 I mean, what are the odds of them working on it NOW after the announcement for the film has been made?! And when I saw the new car on the Internet revealed...they use that design...Not impressed.

Now, I heard that Dan Aykroyd is rumored to make a cameo in this film. I don't care how long the cameo is, I would totally watch this movie because of it. It would be nice to see him in the part of Ray Stantz again. Remember, he had a small cameo in the 1995 film Casper, which was pretty awesome!

Now, why did I spend all this time ranting and raving about something that I will probably and most-likely not enjoy? Simple. I'm a big fan of the Ghostbusters movies and they are a part of my childhood. I grew up with these movies and even had a party for my three year old birthday that had Ecto-1A (Ghostbusters II) pull up with two Ghostbusters. It was the best birthday ever! I even got to put on an old Proton Pack on with Styrofoam used to resemble the beam. It was fun and I got a custom made Ghostbusters cake. I grew up with the cartoon show, The Real Ghostbusters--which reminds me, I've to to see if they have the series available on DVD--and I have a Ghostbusters telephone. Long story short, I'm a fan so when I heard they were making this movie without the main cast, I was skeptical. I'm going to see this movie, and I may like it, but I know it won't be anything like the previous two films and will probably focus on Melissa McCarthy and her humor, which I've got to say I'm not a big fan of. The director of this movie, Paul Feig, who is known for directing Bridesmaids and Spy, both feature Melissa and I'm just afraid it's going to just be another movie starring her that just happens to have the name Ghostbusters in the title. We will see. In any event, I hope you enjoyed reading this and understand my position in what I stated and feel free to leave a comment or question on here! See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment